ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - Jan 25, 2022 - The St. Petersburg-Clearwater Film Commission today announced that St. Petersburg has been named one of MovieMaker's Best Places to Live and Work as a Moviemaker in 2022!
MovieMaker compiles its annual list based on surveys, production spending, tax incentives, additional research, and personal visits, whenever possible. The full list of winning cities and towns is below.
"We are thrilled to make this list for the second year in a row," says Tony Armer, Film Commissioner for Pinellas County Florida's Convention and Visitor's Bureau (CVB) at Visit St. Pete-Clearwater. "Everyone in our area knows this is a great place to live and work. But many don't know how amazing this area is for making movies. We've worked hard over the years to build the film industry in St. Pete-Clearwater. It's exciting to see that hard work paying off with all the productions shooting here. Receiving national recognition for our efforts is the icing on the cake."
"St. Petersburg made a big comeback last year after the challenges of 2020," says MovieMaker editor-in-chief Tim Molloy. "It moved up a slot on our list because of the friendly and professional ways it has lured productions looking to make films in our new normal while enjoying safety, serenity and so, so much sunlight."
Here's the list of Best Cities to Live and Work as a Moviemaker in 2022.
- Fort Worth (joining the list for the first time)
- ST. PETERSBURG (up one spot from last year)
- Washington, D.C.
- San Antonio
- Kansas City (up two slots from last year)
- San Diego
- San Francisco (rejoins the list after being absent last year)
- Baltimore (up four spots from last year)
- Oklahoma City (up two spots from last year)
- Cleveland (up two spots from last year)
- Cincinnati (up two spots from last year
- Boston (up four spots from last year, joining the Top 5)
- Montreal (up three spots from last year, joining the Top 5)
- Toronto (up 10 spots from last year, joining the Top 10 and Top 5)
- Albuquerque (repeating at #1 for the fourth year)
And here's a list of MovieMaker's Best Small Cities and Towns to Live and Work as a Moviemaker in 2022:
- Ashland, OR
- Wilminton, NC (up one spot from last year)
- Victoria, BC
- Tulsa (up two spots from last year)
- Santa Fe, NM
- Savannah (up two spots from last year)
- New Orleans (repeating at #1 for the second year)
- If you're wondering "Where are Los Angeles and New York City?," they've been in our Hall of Fame since 2020, since their cinematic legacies are secure.
- The top big city (Albuquerque) and top small city (New Orleans) remained unchanged.
- No. 2 big city Toronto was the biggest mover, shooting up 10 spots since 2021.
- The other biggest movers were Baltimore, which moved up four spots to No. 14 in big cities, and Boston, which moved up four spots into the Top 5.
MovieMaker is dedicated to the art and craft of making movies. Our list of the Best Places to Live and Work as a Moviemaker in 2022, appears in our new issue, with The Batman director Matt Reeves and star Robert Pattinson on the cover.